Food allergies or food intolerance can range from mild to severe, and determining the cause can often be challenging. Our pediatric gastroenterologists specializing in food allergies and intolerances work with a multidisciplinary team of experts who help diagnose young patients and customize a treatment plan for each child.
Services & Programs
Our Pediatric GI specialists provide wellness and support services to help patients and families manage their care. We have special expertise in conditions such as:
- Celiac disease
- Lactose intolerance
- Food allergies
Diagnosis & Treatment
We help families understand their child’s dietary needs in the context of the family’s daily life. Our team reviews life strategies for adapting to newly diagnosed conditions, why reactions to certain foods happen, and what to do if a child's symptoms are triggered. Through knowledge and new eating habits, we empower children and their families to understand and master their conditions.
In addition, nutritional counseling can help children and their families learn strategies to ensure their diet includes all required nutrients while eliminating restricted foods.
Videos by the Center for Advanced Digestive Care featuring members of our Pediatric Gastroenterology team:
- Food Intolerance – Dr. Aliza Solomon
- Treatments for Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EoE) – Dr. Aliza Solomon
- Cow’s Milk Protein Allergy in Infants – Dr. Aliza Solomon
- Lactose Intolerance vs Milk Protein Allergy – Dr. Elaine Barfield and Shara Wagowski, RD
- Celiac Disease in Children – Dr. Elaine Barfield
- Gluten Sensitivity – Dr. Elaine Barfield and Shara Wagowski, RD
- Elimination Diets in Children – Shara Wagowski, RD
Websites focusing on children and food allergies/intolerance:
- Kids with Food Allergies – Website by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
- Children & Allergies – Website by the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI)
- GI Kids – Website by the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN)
- Gluten-Free Diet Guide for Families – CDHNF and NASPGHAN guide
What Sets us Apart
- We are affiliated with the Phyllis and David Komansky Children’s Hospital at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, the #1 ranked children’s hospital in New York City on the 2017-2018 US News & World Report Best Children’s Hospitals survey.
- Our pediatric sub-specialists are part of the Center for Advanced Digestive Care (CADC) at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, one of the nation's leading centers for the diagnosis and treatment of childhood diseases.