Minority Visiting Scholar (MVS) Elective
The purpose of this visiting elective is to provide 4th year medical students from backgrounds presently underrepresented in medicine with exposure to general and subspecialty pediatric care in a tertiary medical center. In addition, we seek to facilitate increased diversity within our residency program to better reflect the communities we serve, to increase cultural competency in the health care workforce, and to promote interest in academic medicine.
The award includes:
- Housing for the 4 week rotation
- A modest stipend to cover other living expenses
- Opportunities to meet with selected faculty members
- Networking opportunities within the Department and College at large
- For program details and application, visit: Pediatrics Minority Visiting Scholars Program or download the program flyer
- Quick link: WCM Scholarship Program for Visiting Underrepresented Minority (URM) Student Supplemental Application Form
National Student Organizations
Students at Weill Cornell Medical College are active members and lead local chapters of national student organizations such as the Student National Medical Association (SNMA) and Latino Medical Student Association (LMSA). They participate in local and regional meetings, and are supported by Weill Cornell Medicine faculty.
In addition to the “Preparation for Clerkships Workshop," faculty and housestaff from Pediatrics, Medicine, Obstetrics and Psychiatry meet with members of the Weill Cornell chapter of SNMA. This session was requested by our students to answer questions and offer strategies and tips for success.
During this dinner session, underrepresented students have the opportunity to glean strategies and keys to successful clinical rotations from residents, chief residents and faculty. This annual session has been valued by our students and is now coordinated within the Office of Student Diversity.