The Weill Cornell Medicine Department of Pediatrics is pleased to announce the Pediatrics Minority Visiting Scholars Program for the 2023-24 academic year. The purpose of this program is to provide 4th-year medical students from backgrounds underrepresented in medicine (URiM) exposure to general and subspecialty pediatric care in a tertiary medical center. In addition, we seek to increase diversity and cultural competency in the health care workforce, and to promote interest in academic medicine.
The scholars program is seeking applicants from underrepresented backgrounds (URiM) who have demonstrated vision and commitment to improving the health status of diverse patient populations. The Department of Pediatrics will select and award outstanding medical students who will have completed the core clinical clerkships at a LCME accredited institution.
The award will include:
- Housing for the 4-week rotation
- A stipend of $1,500 to cover other living expenses
- Opportunities to meet with selected faculty members
- Networking opportunities within the department and medical college at large
Awardees will participate in the clinical activities within the Department of Pediatrics. The 4-week away elective will include clinical activities, educational and research conferences, and mentoring opportunities.
- Fourth-year students at a LCME-accredited institution in good academic standing at the time of the elective
- Members of groups underrepresented in medicine (URiM)
- Demonstrated commitment to improving the health status of diverse patient populations
- Apply for an away elective through VSLO
- Complete the supplemental application online: https://weillcornell.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3rscwcdq3JTqP0V
- Submit a letter of support from the clerkship director or dean of academic affairs: https://weillcornell.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9tqxh8LT8nguoku
Application Deadline is 4/30/2023
Notification of Award will be made by 5/15/2023
Please send inquiries and other correspondence to PedsMVP@med.cornell.edu